NEWPORT, R.I. - Salve Regina University sophomore Bryce Boggs (Hyde Park, Mass.) went to the free-throw line with 1.1 seconds remaining and made one of two for the margin of victory as the Seahawks edged the Colonels of Curry College, 70-69 in overtime, at the Rodgers Recreation Center.
Series and Streaks
Salve Regina now leads the all-time series, 32-26, with the last six meetings having an average margin of victory under three points including four overtime contests. The Seahawks and Colonels have played five overtime games since 2012.
Three Stars of the Game
1 – Salve Regina junior Nicholas Bates (Danvers, Mass.) - scored a team-high 24 points and grabbed a game-high 13 rebounds
2 – Curry senior Tim Flanagan (Providence, R.I.) - scored a game-high 26 points on 10-of-15 field goals.
3 – Salve Regina sophomore Bryce Boggs (Hyde Park, Mass.) - his 13th point scored proved to be the game-winner; he also had five assists and three steals.
Key Stat of the Game
Both teams had the opportunity to pull away with better results from the free throw line. Curry shot 50 percent from the stripe, four of eight in each of the first two halves and three of six in the overtime. Salve Regina missed five free throw attempts in each of the first two halves of regulation (three of eight and then 10 of 15) before making four of eight in the extra session.
Boggs tied the game in OT with a layup from the left side with 18 seconds left, and then picked off an errant pass at midcourt to set up a game-winning drive. He was fouled with 1.1 ticks remaining.
• Bates posted his third double-double of the season, and his second at home (both victories).
• The lead changed 18 times and the score was tied nine times.
• Curry held its largest lead (eight points) in the first half at 4:21.
• Salve Regina opened ! th e second half on a 13-2 run and led by as many as nine points (45-36) after David Hanson's (Stockton, England) free throws at 16:05.
• Flanagan led all scorers at halftime as well, taking a dozen points into intermission.
• Salve Regina had two other players score in double figures - Rodney Morton (Malden, Mass.) and Connor Costello (Southborough, Mass.) - with 12 and 11 points, respectively.
• Freshman Rael Handy (North Easton, Mass.) joined Flanagan in double-figure scoring for the Colonels with 10 points.
• James Pina (Warwick, R.I.) led Curry with 11 rebounds.
Salve Regina (4-3, 1-1 CCC) – Tuesday, December 8 at Endicott, 5:30 p.m.
Curry (0-8, 0-2 CCC) – Tuesday, December 8 at Wentworth, 7:30 p.m. (Game Recap Courtesy of Salve Regina Sports Information)