Hockey Knocked Off, 2-1, by Visiting ECAC Northeast Foe Nichols College

Hockey Knocked Off, 2-1, by Visiting ECAC Northeast Foe Nichols College

MILTON, Mass.- In an ECAC Northeast Conference match-up in men's ice hockey action on Saturday afternoon at the Max Ulin Rink, Curry College lost to Nichols College, 2-1. The loss drops the Colonels to 1-6-1 overall and 1-4-1 in the ECAC Northeast. The Bison improve to 6-1-0 overall and 5-0-0 in the ECAC Northeast conference.

Nichols controlled the first period outshooting Curry 12-8 while netting two goals to take an early 2-0 lead.  At 9:46 the Colonels junior Sean Nelson (Brighton, Mich.) was called for a two minute hooking penalty.  Just 14 seconds into the man-up advantage, the Bison tallied their first score.  Senior Tyler Beasley (Indianapolis, Ind.) chipped in a shot over the shoulder of the Colonel's junior goaltender Brett Sinclair (St. Catharines, Ontario).  Senior Paul Prescott (Oakdale, Minn.) won the face-off in Curry's defensive end. Prescott sent the puck to freshman Ben Campbell (Duluth, Minn.) who found an open Prescott in front of the net.  With 2:42 left to play in the period Nichols extending their lead when freshman T.J. Roche (Northport, N.Y.) took a slap shot that soared into the back of the net for his first collegiate goal and the eventual game-winner.  Roche was assisted by senior Shane Totten (Traverse City, Mich.) and freshman Blake Kelley (Woodbury, Minn.).  The Bison's senior netminder Alex Larson (Madison, Ala.) was solid between the pipes holding the Colonels scoreless with his eight saves.

Curry dominated Nichols in shots in the second period, firing off 14 while the Bison had nine.  Sinclair played impressively stopping all nine shots he faced.  The Colonels got on the board at 7:09, cutting Nichols lead to just one.   Freshman Mack Heisinger (Winnipeg, Manitoba) tallied his first collegiate goal after one-timing the puck from outside the crease past the glove of Larson.  Heisinger was assisted by juniors Joe Scarfo (Winthrop, Mass.) and Jake Heisinger (Winnipeg, Manitoba).  Curry had chances to tie the game but Larson came up with big saves to keep the score at 2-1.

The final period was an exciting one with both teams fighting hard for the win. The netminders were flawless stopping every shot they saw leaving the score at 2-1 when the buzzer blew.  The Colonels once again lead in shots, 13-8, but were unsuccessful at netting another score. 

Curry went 0-1 on power plays while Nichols was 1-4. The Colonels finished with a game-high 35 shots and the Bison 29.

Curry's Sinclair made a notable 27 saves in net for the Colonels. Larson made an impressive 34 stops in net for Nichols.

Curry returns to action on Saturday, December 5 when they host ECAC Northeast opponent Salve Regina in their annual Teddy Bear Toss with a 4:45 p.m. game start. Nichols hosts Worcester State in a non-conference match-up on Saturday, November 28 in a 7:30 p.m. game.