Hockey Falls to Visiting Conference Rival Salve Regina, 6-3

Hockey Falls to Visiting Conference Rival Salve Regina, 6-3

MILTON, Mass.- In an ECAC Northeast Conference match-up in men's ice hockey action on Saturday afternoon at the Max Ulin Rink, Curry College lost to Salve Regina, 6-3. The loss drops the Colonels to 1-7-1 overall and 1-5-1 in the ECAC Northeast. The Seahawks improve to 6-4-1 overall and 3-2-1 in the ECAC Northeast conference.

The first period saw seven goals scored between the two teams.  Salve was first to strike taking an early 2-0 lead.  The Seahawks won the opening face-off and skated with the puck into Curry's defensive zone.  With only 1:25 off the clock, Salve's senior Peter Gintoli (Shelton, Conn.) one-timed the puck over the shoulder of the Colonel's junior goaltender Brett Sinclair (St. Catharines, Ontario).  Junior Jonathan Felteau (Peabody, Mass.) and sophomore Adam Augusta (Windham, N.H.) were credited with the assists.  Eleven seconds later the Seahawks netted their second on the night after an unassisted tally by senior Alex Pompeo (Hingham, Mass.).  Curry got on the board at 5:37 cutting the lead down to one.  Junior Jake Heisinger (Winnipeg, Manitoba) received the puck in front of the net sending it past Salve's freshman netminder Blake Wojtala (Trenton, Mich.).  Junior Ellery O'Hara (Toronto, Ontario) and sophomore Adam Valadao (Ajax, Ontario) earned the assists.  Felteau netted his team's third in the period with help from Augusta and Gintoli.  Once again the Colonels answered back posting their second at the 11:50 minute mark.  The Seahawk's freshman Nick Cyr (Mount Laurel, N.J.) was called for an interference penalty at 10:10.  Sophomore Shane Tracy (Bow, N.H.) took advantage of the man-up situation with the power-play goal.  Junior James Murphy (Malden, Mass.) and freshman Mack Heisinger (Winnipeg, Manitoba) were the helpers.  The Colonels outshot the Seahawks 15-11.

Salve outscored Curry 2-1 in the second period giving them a 5-3 after 40 minutes of play.  The Seahawks came out strong netting the first two goals.  The game-winning goal came at the 10:15 mark.  Sophomore Joe Yeadon (Burlington, Mass.) sent a pass to sophomore Pat Thompson (Hellertown, Pa.) who was alone outside the crease.  Thompson collected the puck shooting it low behind Sinclair.  Just over two minutes later Salve extended their lead to three.  O'Hara was in the box for Curry on an unsportsmanlike conduct call giving Salve a man-up opportunity.  Gintoli capitalized on the power-play scoring his second goal when he took a slap shot that soared into the back of the net.  Gintoli was assisted by Felteau and freshman Kyle Moore (Cumming, Ga.).  Junior Dan McGinnis (Hanover, Mass.) responded 39 seconds later for the Colonels.  Wojtala stopped a shot by Murphy and McGinnis came up with the rebound for the tally. 

Curry controlled the final period outshooting Salve 20-7 but solid play between the pipes by Wojtala kept the Colonels scoreless.  Salve was able to put up one more before the final whistle blew for the 6-3 victory.  With 3:32 remaining in regulation, Yeadon took a slap shot outside the blueline off a pass from Moore.  Curry pulled Sinclair giving them an advantage with an extra skater for the remainder of the game but they struggled to find the back of the net.

Curry went 1-1 on power plays while Salve was 1-2. The Colonels finished with a game-high 43 shots and the Seahawks 33.

Curry's Sinclair made 27 saves in net for the Colonels. Wojtala made an impressive 40 stops in net for Salve.

Curry returns to action on Sunday, December 6 when they host Manhattanville in a 4:45 p.m. game start. Salve Regina travels next to Utica on Saturday, December 12 for a 7:00 p.m. game.