Hockey Knocked off 4-2 by Visiting University of New England in CCC Quarterfinal Game

Hockey Knocked off 4-2 by Visiting University of New England in CCC Quarterfinal Game

MILTON, Mass. – The Curry College men's hockey team fell to the University of New England, 4-2, in the Commonwealth Coast Conference quarterfinal game on Saturday night at the Max Ulin Rink in Milton, Mass.

The loss ends the Colonels season with a 14-10-2 overall record.  With the win the Nor'easters advance to the semifinal game and improve to 14-9-2 on the season.

UNE controlled the first period outshooting Curry, 10-4.  Solid play between the pipes from the Colonels senior netminder Brett Sinclair (St. Catharines, Ontario) kept the Nor'easters to just one score.  UNE's tally came at the 13:00 minute mark off the stick of senior Chris Harlow (Falmouth, Mass.).  Harlow netted his teams first of the night while Curry was on a power-play.  The Colonels were 1:23 into their PP when the Nor'easters sophomore Andrew Slotnick (Canterbury, Conn.) intercepted a pass creating a two-on-one against a Curry defender.  Slotnick sent the puck to Harlow who one-timed it past the glove of Sinclair. 

UNE went on a three goal scoring spree in the second frame for a 4-0 lead before Curry got on the board with 2:28 left to play.  With only 29 seconds off the clock, the Colonels senior Ellery O'Hara (Toronto, Ontario) was called for a two-minute holding penalty.  It took just seven seconds for the Nor'easters to capitalize on the man-up advantage for the power-play goal.  Sophomore Tucker Ross (Ashburn, Va.) ripped one over the shoulder of Sinclair.  Sophomore Armand Uomoleale (Westport, Conn.) and senior Blaise Healy (Melrose, Mass.) were credited with the assists.  The game-winning tally was scored six minutes later when sophomore Brady Fleurent (Biddeford, Maine) took a slap shot just over the blueline into the back of the net.  Fleurent earned helpers from senior Trevor Fleurent (Biddeford, Maine) and freshman Dmitris Jones (Seattle, Wash.).  Just one minute later, UNE netted their fourth and final score.  Freshman Ryan Bloom (Northville, Mich.) tipped the puck into the back of the cage off a pass from Trevor Fleurent and senior Danny Antonoff (Bedford, Mass.).  Curry's first tally was off the stick of sophomore Lionel Mauron (Lausanne, Switzerland) with 2:28 remaining in the period.  Mauron netted his first off two when he took a wrist shot past the pads of the Nor'easters freshman goaltender Payton Porter (Houlton, Maine).  Mauron was set up by seniors Jake Heisinger (Winnipeg, Manitoba) and Tyler Vankleef (Dundas, Ontario).  Shots in the second were 16-13 in favor of UNE.

The Colonels came out strong in the final period as they outshot the Nor'easters 14-9 while holding them scoreless.  Curry was able to put up one more but a solid effort by Porter in net helped secure the 4-2 victory for UNE.  Mauron earned his second goal of the game while Vankleef and Heisinger earned their second assists. 

The Colonels Sinclair stopped 31 shots in the loss.  Porter made 29 saves for the Nor'easter win.

Curry went 1-for-6 with the extra-man advantage while UNE was 2-for-3.  UNE held the lead in shots at 35-31.