Men's Soccer Shut Out 5-0 by Visiting Johnson & Wales

Men's Soccer Shut Out 5-0 by Visiting Johnson & Wales

MILTON, Mass. – The Curry College men's soccer team lost to visiting Johnson & Wales, 5-0,on Wednesday night at the Walter M. Katz Field. The loss drops the Colonels to 3-5-1 on the season while the Wildcats improve to 5-1-2 overall.

The teams battled each other throughout the first 20 minutes of play without a score.  It was the Wildcats who struck first and didn't look back.  Johnson & Wales netted their first off a goal from Jason Cruz (Providence, R.I.). Less than a minute later, they took a two-goal advantage when Cruz found an open Andrew Vecere (Wayne, N.J.) who beat Curry keeper Dan Johnson (Easton, Conn.).  The Colonels couldn't seem to control the ball long enough in the offensive zone and went into the half without landing a shot.

Johnson & Wales came out strong in the second adding three more tallies.  Their third goal on the night in the 67th minute when Teagan Drake (Waterbury, Vt.) drilled one into the back of the net off an assist from Rob Zukofsky (Scotch Plains, N.J.). Just six minutes later, the Wildcats would extend their lead to four when Yohann Assouramou (Cotonou, Benin) earned his first of two in the game. Assouramou added his second tally and team final just over a minute later.  The Colonels reeled off seven shots but strong play between the pipes from Johnson & Wales goalkeeper, Jon Robbins (Berkley Heights, N.J.) kept them scoreless.

Johnson made nine saves in 73:57 minutes in net before giving way to Mike Russo-Penta (Malden, Mass.).  Russo-Penta finished the game in net for the Colonels without facing a shot. Robbins earned the win in net for the Wildcats making five stops.

The Colonels return to action on Saturday, September 24 when they travel to Nichols College in a Commonwealth Coast Conference match at 11:00 a.m. The Wildcats will return to action also on Saturday when they travel to Suffolk for a conference match-up at 1:00 p.m.