BEVERLY, Mass. — Junior forward Hannah Shaw (Bar Harbor, Maine) lifted the Endicott women's basketball team to a come-from-behind victory against the Curry College Colonels, 55-54, to begin Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) play in the home opener Wednesday night inside MacDonald Gymnasium.
Curry jumped out to a 6-0 lead and led throughout the entirety of the first half, building a lead as large as 16 with 2:02 remaining before the break and went into halftime up, 34-21.
Endicott battled back to outscore Curry, 22-6, in the third quarter as the Gulls grabbed their first lead of the night, 38-36 on Shaw's jumper with 4:44 left in the quarter.
Four tied scores and back-and-forth action in the fourth quarter was finally broken up by Endicott as the Gulls took the lead for good at 55-53 on freshman guard Emily Pratt's (Gardner, Mass.) jump shot at the 3:10 mark.
Shaw led the Gulls with a team-high 18 points and team-high eight rebounds, while sophomore guard Emily Irwin (Billerica, Mass.) scored a game-high 25 points for Curry.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The game featured six ties and three lead changes.
- The Gulls placed three student-athletes in double figures as senior forward Sarah Hood (Burlington, Mass.) and Pratt added 10 points apiece to join Shaw in double digits.
- 10 points is a new career-high for Pratt.
- Endicott registered a season-high 16 steals as Shaw tied the single-game program record with nine swipes, joining Kelsey Cuddy '16 and Ashley Wright '11 in the record books.
FOR THE FOES
- The Colonels had two double-digit scorers as junior center Nicole Rice (Woburn, Mass.) chipped in 11 points and a game-high nine rebounds to join Irwin in double figures.
- Curry out-rebounded the Gulls, 39-34.
- The Colonels led by as much as 16 with 2:02 remaining in the first half on Irwin's layup.
- Endicott and Curry met the 30th time in program history tonight as the Gulls lead the all-time series, 24-6, dating back prior to the 2002 season.
- Endicott is 14-1 at home versus the Colonels.
- The Gulls swept last season's regular-season series, 77-62 (01/05/16) and 65-42 (02/02/16).
- Endicott defeated Curry, 68-66, in the CCC Quarterfinals in the most recent meeting before today.
Endicott (2-3, 1-0 CCC) travels to Quincy, Mass. to take on Eastern Nazarene in CCC play on Saturday, December 3 at 1:00 p.m.
Curry (2-4, 0-1 CCC) goes on the road at Fitchburg St. on Thursday, December 1 at 7:00 p.m.
(Game Recap Courtesy of Endicott College Sports Information)