SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (October 19, 2016) – Senior forward Kaitlyn Lima (New Bedford, Mass.) scored with 2:17 remaining in regulation to lift the Curry College women's soccer team to a 1-0 victory over Western New England University this afternoon in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at Suprenant Field.
• Lima scored her CCC-leading ninth goal of the season and also led the Colonels with five shots (three on goal).
• Western New England junior midfielder Danielle Dixon (Plainville, Conn.) had several scoring chances, putting a team-high three shots on goal.
• Western New England had a solid chance to take a lead in the fourth minute, when senior forward Brooke Labrie (Granby, Mass.) dribbled past several Curry defenders down the end line before sending in a pass to Dixon, who fired a shot on goal from close range. Curry senior goalkeeper Morgan Stott (Dartmouth, Mass.) was there to make the save, however, keeping the game scoreless.
• Junior defender Marielle Caron (East Longmeadow, Mass.) put a hard shot on target from outside the penalty area in the 14th minute, but again Stott came up with a big stop.
• Western New England continued to control possession for the remainder of the first half, finishing the opening 45 minutes with a 15-5 advantage in shots.
• Dixon had another opportunity to give the Golden Bears a lead at the 86:05 mark, but she was unable to beat Stott with a shot from the right side of the penalty area.
• Just 1:38 later, Lima dribbled through a pair of Golden Bear defenders and sent a shot past Western New England sophomore goalkeeper Marissa Veilleux (Newington, Conn.) for the goal that would stand as the game-winner.
• Western New England outshot Curry 20-10 and held a 9-2 advantage in corner kicks.
• Labrie and junior midfielder Christina Delude (Belchertown, Mass.) recorded three shots each.
• Veilleux finished with four saves, while Stott had six for the Colonels.
Western New England (5-10-2, 2-5 CCC) will be back in action on Saturday at Salve Regina, while Curry (8-7-2, 2-4-1 CCC) returns home to host Gordon on Friday night. (Game Recap Courtesy of Western New England Sports Information)