SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (September 9, 2017) – Curry College fell to the Western New England University women's tennis team, 9-0, on Saturday afternoon in its Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) opener at the Volvo Outdoor Courts.
• Freshman Maylene LaPress (Bedford, N.H.) set the tone at the top of Western New England's singles lineup with a 6-0, 6-1 triumph, and she was also victorious at No. 2 doubles.
• Sophomore Morgan Schrader (Burnt Hills, N.Y.), who posted the lone win for the Golden Bears in last Friday's season-opening loss to Johnson & Wales, improved to 2-0 in singles play this fall with her 6-0, 6-0 result at No. 2.
• Senior captain Christina D'Agostino (Bohemia, N.Y.), junior Petra Martinelli (Vernon, Conn.) and sophomore Rachel Bauer (Palmer. Mass.) all posted wins in both singles and doubles play on Saturday.
• The Golden Bears opened up a 3-0 lead through doubles competition, with all three teams posting 8-1 triumphs over their Curry counterparts.
• In addition to D'Agostino, Bauer and Martinelli coming out on top, freshman Jessica Cote (Groton, Conn.) earned a 6-3, 7-6 win over freshman Alison Daigle (Edgartown, Mass.) at No. 6.
Western New England (1-1, 1-0 CCC) travels to Gordon on Wednesday, while Curry (0-3, 0-2 CCC) heads to Salem State for the second of four straight road matches.
(Match Recap Courtesy of Western New England Sports Information)